Being a mother means you have to spend all your time with your husband and children, plus a gazillion tons of household work… NOT!
More than anything else, you need a hobby for your sanity!
Here are a hundred hobby ideas perfect for Mum’s “me time”.
Arts & Craft Type Hobbies
For the crafty mum, you can still hone your amazing skills through these hobby ideas:
- Resin Art
- Pottery Classes
- Painting Classes
- Adult Colouring In Books
- Paper Twirling
Computer & Technology Based Hobbies
Millennial mums may not have a problem with these type of hobbies, but if you want to try your hand at being a techie, here are some hobbies we recommend:
- Start a basic blog.
- Start researching your family tree – I used Ancestry.com.
- Start a Pinterest Board, pin like a crazy woman and try and grow your following.
- Buy a decent camera and start learning about photography.
- Use Youtube to learn how to edit photographs or videos.
- Start listening to regular Podcasts, or start your own!
- Become a Wikipedia Editor.
- Become an online gamer!
- Get paid to do online surveys.
- Geocaching is fun for the whole family!
If you want to improve your skills in cooking or baking, you can enrol in classes of these type or join a competition or just learn something new. You can even start growing your own produce that you need for cooking.
- Set a task of cooking two difficult recipes per month.
- Enter a cake in a local show.
- Go to a cooking class.
- Start a food blog
- Preserve Your Own Fruit
- Learn cheese-making skills.
- Cake Decorating
- Handmake gourmet chocolates
- Learn about Food Fermentation
- Kombucha brewing
- Go to a Wine Appreciation Course.
- Make your own unique biscuits and sweets.
- Make your own jams and relishes, sell them at the local markets.
- Start a vegetable garden and grow your own produce.
Hobbies to Improve Self-Esteem
- Roller Derby
- Online Poker (not for money that is)
- Online Gaming
- Ice Skating
- Drama and Acting Classes
- Metal Detecting
- Martial Arts
- Horseback Riding
- Learn How to do magic tricks
- Amateur theatre
Hobbies for the Super Organised
Make your habit a hobby!
- Start and keep a regular diary.
- Write a weekly gratitude list.
- Send real letters to friends and family – handwritten that is!
- Start writing a novel or ‘how to’ book.
- Make a Youtube video on how organised you are – you could become a Youtube sensation!
Mums need to get themselves back and improve their self-confidence. Choosing some of these hobby ideas may just be what you need.
- Public Speaking (Toastmasters)
- Learn to play the piano.
- Start going to the gym regularly.
- Learn meditation. There are some great free Apps to try.
- Enrol in an online course.
- Self Defence Course
Hobbies that Could Make you Money
Turn your incredible skills into a money-making one with these amazing ideas.
- Learn Nail Art and advertise your skills on Facebook.
- Learn how to do amazing hair upstyles for formals or balls.
- Good at photography? Advertise your skills and start taking clients.
- Learn how to do face-painting and advertise your services on Facebook.
- Antiquing – buy and sell old furniture at a profit.
- Learn how to do affiliate marketing and get a commission on the products you recommend.
- Learn how to give a massage.
- Write articles for websites (can get you as much as $200/article if you are good at it!).
- Flip Used Furniture (or houses if you can afford to do that!).
- Addicted to Facebook? Become a ‘Social Media Guru’ and advertise your trade for small businesses.
- Good at English? Become a proofreader or editor.
- Put together an amazing resume and sell the template online (or just do it for friends and family!).
- Start an online store and buy and sell your way to profit.
- Baking. Not only for yourself and your family, but look at baking for others too!
- Become a Mystery Shopper
You’re never too old to learn or improve your musical skills.
- Learn how to play an instrument.
- Learn to DJ.
- Take singing lessons.
- Join the cast of the local acting group.
- Join a choir.
Garden and Outdoor Based Hobbies
- Create bonsai
- Make and sell your own terrariums
- Flower Arranging
- Bird Watching
- Grow your own produce
Meeting with Friend Type Hobbies
Cheer up with your peers through these hobby ideas.
- Start a regular book club.
- Go to a yoga class.
- Or a Zumba Class.
- Join a Ten Pin Bowling League
- Organise a progressive dinner or a dinner party club.
- Go to a dance class. Most places have ballroom, bootscooting, tap dancing just to name a few.
Competitive & Sporty Hobbies
Stretch those muscles further!
- Coach a kids team (soccer, netball etc).
- Start a trivia team and dominate at trivia nights for prizes.
- Try a sport! Netball, Touch Football, Hockey, Softball, Tennis, Squash – so many to choose from!
- Stand Up Paddleboarding – or take it one step further – Yoga Stand Up Paddle Boarding!
- Be hardcore! Go to Crossfit!
- Join a fitness class like Pump or Step.
- Train for a marathon or triathlon.
Nerdy Loving Hobbies
If you’re nerd and proud, these are for you!
- As mentioned above – become a gamer!
- Historical Re-enactment
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Read the latest novels and then look at starting your own bookclub.
- Learn another language – there are loads of apps and Youtube videos so you can learn for free!
- Metal Detecting – you could find a fortune!
- Start a board game group.
- Study and invest in the stock market.
- Tudor kids in maths, science or any other subject you are proficient in.
You can never go wrong with these ideas, all you pet-loving mums!
- Cat and Dog Showing
- Dog Training Courses
- Enlist your pet with a ‘talent’ agency and take them to ‘shoots’.
- Got a unique cat or dog? Start their own Facebook Page and build a following for them!
- Dog Walking
- Pet Sitting
Community Minded Hobbies
Bring out the kindness in you as you help and become a volunteer for your community.
- Join Meals on Wheels to help cook meals for the elderly.
- Volunteer at a local charity.
- Be a mentor.
- Volunteer at your child’s tuckshop or uniform shop.
- If your local Op-Shop is looking for volunteer staff, give a few hours a week.
Collecting Type Hobbies
The idea of collecting is not a new one – and there is just so much ‘stuff’ out there to collect. Find something you love and start hunting for it – here are some ideas:
- Stamp Collecting
- Coin Collection
- Tea Pots or Teaspoons
- Thimbles or Scissors